How to document your disability

Many disability benefit claims are rejected due to a lack of medical evidence. This is why it is important to document your disability status for your claim. The types of documents required by the Social Security Administration (SSA) are medical reports from your treating physician with diagnosis, treatment, recovery time, test results, and a residual functional ability (RFC) report made by your physician that evaluates both physical condition. and mental functions caused by your disability.

How do I know what documentation I need?

As long as you can find your medical condition in the SSA’s Blue Book, the list will tell you what you need to show that indicates your medical condition is severe enough to qualify for disability benefits. The section on the list should touch on different requirements and even exams/results/etc. that you need to show to qualify for benefits.

What are some medical documents I may need?

The types of medical evidence that many people may need include treatment plans provided by your doctor, X-rays, MRIs, test results, prescriptions, doctor’s notes and notes from other specialists.

What other documents will I need?

You may also need to complete an adult disability report. This is completed on Form SSA-3368 and provides information about you as the applicant and can be completed online after completing the Online Disability Benefit Application. In addition to providing contact details, you will also need to list all mental and physical conditions that will include any educational or emotional issues that limit your ability to work.

Applicants are typically approved based on a combination of mental and physical health conditions. You should list each case individually and use your own words where possible, especially for health issues not necessarily linked to your formal diagnosis such as persistent headaches, chronic back pain, and stomachaches.

If you have been diagnosed with cancer, you must include both the type and stage, as you may be eligible for sympathy benefits. You may need a Residual Functional Capacity (RFC) assessment if you are appealing, or if your status cannot be found in the Blue Book.

You may be asked to provide documents to prove that you are eligible, such as the following:

  • W-2 forms(s) and/or last year’s tax returns;
  • US military discharge paper(s) if you participated in military service prior to 1968;
  • Proof of US citizenship or legal alien status if you were not born in the United States;
  • Medical evidence at your disposal such as your medical records, doctors’ reports and recent test results;
  • Birth certificate or other proof of birth;
  • Bonus letters, pay slips, settlement agreements or other evidence of any temporary or permanent workers compensation type benefits you have had at some point.
  • An adult disability report that discloses more details about your illnesses, injuries or medical conditions and your work history.

Get help with your disability claim

The Social Security Agreement (SSA) never makes it easier to qualify for disability benefits, so you should seek assistance from a disability attorney who may help ensure that you have submitted the correct documents before submitting your disability benefit claim.

Get a free status assessment today.

Additional Resources

Source link

Related Posts